What are Electrolytes Exactly?

Hey Everyone, 

Thanks to runners connect for giving us the answer!  I wanted to touch upon the importance of staying hydrated and having enough electrolytes.  All of these crazy 90 degree days can increase your risk for heat exhaustion and stroke.  The more you sweat, the more fluid and electrolytes you are losing.  That's why it is so important to replenish.  If you are brave enough to go on a run, take some water with you.  As a general guideline, you should drink 20oz of water a couple hours before exercise, 7-10oz for every 20 minutes of exercise, and 10oz after.  If you sweat a lot then you should probably drink even more than this.  It is vital if you are going to be in this heat and humidity.    

I want to go more into electrolytes, but I will let this article do the talking.  It's not too scientific but gives just enough information so you understand and learn exactly what you are consuming.  I'll be gone for a couple days myself at the beach soaking up some rays (with sunscreen on) and staying nice and hydrated.  I'll talk with you all on Monday!


Comments