JOHO Staff's Top Picks!

Hello, 

So as promised a while ago, here are your staff's top exercise picks!  I asked each of them to tell me their favorite or most beneficial exercise and why.  These are words straight from their mouth.  I don't feel any more introduction is necessary.  Check these out and feel free to talk about them with us in person!


PHB:

Ali Squiller - Squat

"My favorite exercise will definitely have to be the squat (go figure). It is the single most important exercise when it comes to strength training. When performed properly, the squat works most major muscle groups, as well as builds stability. We use the squat in every day life including sitting down and standing up. There are many different variations of the squat, but my favorite is the barbell back squat."

Inline image 1
(Check out this awesome picture of Ali doing a barbell back squat.  Way to go!)

Lex Sturdivant - Deadlift

"I am a big fan of the deadlift and truly enjoy it.  I like the fact, it is a one step movement.  It is a pulling movement that focuses a good deal on developing and strengthening the back. If done correctly, I think deadlifts gives you the best bang for your buck.  If you have knee or shoulder issues you can perform this exercise with minimal effort and not be worried about re-injury."


Ryan Campbell - Hang Clean

"My favorite exercise is the Hang Clean.  I love the explosive movement of this exercise.  It is such a dynamic exercise that works the entire body and is fun for me to do.  It simulates movements associated with both sprinting and jumping, which are two things I have always loved to do."

 


Jo Brennan - Glute Bridge

"My favorite exercise is a glute bridge. This is an awesome exercise for the glutes, hamstring, and core. I love exercises that you can feel working right away! This is a favorite of mine because there are SO MANY options on how to perform it. For example you can place your feet on the BOSU, feet on a bench, single leg glute bridges, or even place your feet flat on on a stability ball (my favorite). Anyone and everyone can perform a glute bridge from the first day you walk into JOHO to advancing this workout with weights."

 Inline image 1Inline image 2Inline image 5

RFK:

Ellen Lolich - Burpee

"My favorite exercise is the Burpee. I love that this exercise never gets easy - it's always a challenge. You can make it low impact by simply walking your legs out into a plank and not jumping. It's also an exercise that not everyone thinks they can do - but everyone CAN! I have instructed burpees for members using plyo boxes, to elevate their base of support so that they don't have to bend all the way down to the floor.

It's also an exercise that has so many layers and options to switch it up - for example, adding in a push up, adding in a jumping jack or plank jack, adding in lateral hops in between each burpee. adding dumbbells, adding in a tuck jump, etc. I love the cardio and strength components of this exercise."



Christen Fengl - Lateral Band Walks

"One of my favorite exercises would be lateral band walks. This exercise helps builds gluteus medius strength. Weak gluteus medius often leads to weak knees (caving inward while performing squats) which is often a factor to ACL injuries. A strong gluteus medius also increase hip stability."

Inline image 1

JCB:

Anthony Brown - Single Arm Kettle bell Press

"It is a great exercise to strengthen the shoulders while focusing on core stabilization."

Kettlebell Press

Sam Melchor - Overhead Dumbbell Lunge

"I love this exercise because it exercises almost the entire body.  Your lower body is worked and you're using your core to help stabilize every step you take.  By placing the dumbbell or dumbbells overhead, you are also working your shoulders, arms, and upper back as they work to keep the weight in place.  This is an exercise that takes a lot of control and mental focus.  I think we could all benefit from tuning into our muscles, focusing on our breathing, and watching our form through slower controlled movements."




Comments