How Many Calories Are You Drinking?

Happy Monday, 

How many calories are YOU drinking on the weekend?  I don't mean soda or tea.  I'm talking alcohol.  This post was inspired by the many members who come into the gym saying they drank too much and need to work it off.  While I am in no way promoting the excessive drinking of alcohol, I  think it's good for you to be aware of the calories you are putting into your body. 

I know what it's from too.  The happy hours, the football games, and the nights out with your friends.  Fall is the time for friends and family, I get it.  So how do you battle it?  My biggest piece of advice when facing the alcohol calories is to pick and choose.  Pick and choose which days or nights you would like to indulge.  Perhaps during the football game you could stick to water (don't forget about the processed food calories you are eating at the same time).  Ask yourself, do I really need one more glass?  

You are on a path.  Whether your path is to lose weight, be healthier, gain weight, or maintain, don't derail a week of hard work for more drinks than you need.  You work hard for those improvements!

Here are the relative calories of a few popular drinks.  I hope my post flashes in your brain the next time you're out.

White wine (5 oz) - 110-125 calories
Red wine (5 oz) - 110-130 calories 
Margarita - 120 calories
Rum and Coke - 143 calories
Gin and tonic - 151 calories
Martini - 161 calories
Long Island Ice Tea - 218 calories
Old Fashioned - 118 calories
Beer - 154 calories

Comments