Gasping for Air! A Guide to Breathing for Novice Runners!






Come on a run with me and you'll see two things; labored irregular breathing and the run ending in about 5 minutes.  I'm not a runner!  I'm the first to admit it.  But I do believe in being well rounded and functional in all things fitness which is why I'm trying to get into it.

First Step:  Fix the breathing.  How? 

  • Start slow.  Walk the first 3-5 minutes before starting a light pace.  This will allow time to begin your breathing pattern.  Then, run about ten minutes at a light pace before bumping it up so your muscles can warm up and relax into form.  (this ten minutes is brutal to get through, haven't I already done half of my run by this time??)

  • Next, breathe deeply through the abdomen.  Breathing through the chest will cause shallow breaths.  (There's your reason for my labored breathing!)   Relax your body and breathe down to your belly for a more efficient run.

  • Use a 3:2 ratio.  Breathe in on the first three steps and breathe out on the next two steps.  You'll notice a lower heart rate and it will help keep you on a consistent pace.

Now I have to admit I have heard different pieces of advice on breathing through your mouth, nose or both.  Here is what some of the experts have to say.....

On Livestrong.com, Deborah Dunham, who is an ACE certified personal trainer and certified RRCA Running coach, states,

"Breathe Through Your Nose and Mouth.  This will help you get more oxygen in and carbon dioxide out. Some people have been told to breathe in through their nose and out through their mouth, but this technique can substantially limit the amount of air taken in. It's better to use your nose and mouth to breathe in and out."
 
According to the National Academy of Sports Medicine's training magazine,
 
"For cardio, you generally breathe in and out through the nose or, when intensity ramps up, through the mouth."
 
I'll be testing both out to see how they feel.  Let me know what you think!
 
 
 
 


Comments