Meal Makeover Monday 8

 
 
 
 
Hi there everyone! Happy Thanksgiving (Week)!! I hope everyone had a great weekend and that you are feeling motivated to get a few days of work in with this short week upon us. (Or maybe you started your vacation already, and in that case I am jealous!) Either way, with Thanksgiving this weekend there is probably no doubt that food is on your mind. Let's face it, Thanksgiving IS about family, friends, and FOOD. I am not one to deprive people of delicious food, especially on a holiday (trust me I love pie), but there are certainly healthy substitutes that taste just as good as the full-calorie favorites. The way I think about it, on a Holiday, if I can lighten up the calories in one area, I can save them for dessert ; )  That being said, I have taken two of my favorite side-dishes and "lightened" them up with a homemade twist. You will be surprised how simple they are!
 
The BEST Baked Sweet Potato
 
The other night I had a whole bag of sweet potatoes and was feeling really lazy but wanted to find a super easy and yummy way to cook them up. I hit the jackpot with these directions from "Empowered Sustenance." They are simple to make and you can make a whole bunch at a time!
 
Seriously, this recipe is SO easy, and baking sweet potatoes in this way really brings out their natural sweetness. With this recipe you don't need marshmallows or sweetener!  I don't use "best" without unequivocal support. (I am a scientist after all.) Adding cinnamon and nutmeg to the finished product is the "cherry on top!" Also, if you didn't already know, sweet potatoes are loaded with Vitamin A, Potassium, and Fiber!
 
 
The Foolproof way to Bake a Sweet Potato
 
 
 
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
 
I have found that if you were  to take a casual survey of your Thanksgiving guests....some people love cranberry sauce, and others hate it. Personally, I have always loved it but I must admit that something about its alien-like structure, and the fact that it holds the ridges from the can kinda freaks me out. Last year my mom made her own cranberry sauce (I helped) and it was surprisingly easy, and had such a better flavor than the kind from the can (which is almost always true!). In addition, to tasting better, making your own from scratch preserves all of the antioxidants and vitamin C in the cranberries! Double bonus.
 
Try this Spiced Cranberry Sauce from the "Detoxinista" With no refined sugar, and natural ingredients, it is certainly a far cry from the jello-like kind you may be used to, but so flavorful and packed with nutrients!
 
 
 
I hope everyone has a relaxing and delicious holiday! : )
 
 

Comments