Give Allergies the 1-2 Punch!




Hi friends! We are halfway through the week, which means halfway to the end of the week! Although its been a bit rainy and grey, Monday was a taste of a much welcome beautiful spring. As much as I love the spring weather, it does not show me much love. I (like many) suffer from some pretty brutal seasonal allergies. Some days are so bad, I feel like the weight of the world is on my sinuses. This year I have been looking into some natural ways fight this seasonal nuisance. In my quest, I found a few good tips and I am excited to share them with you.

Knock Out Your Seasonal Allergies

1.  Run them off
No surprise that my first suggestion is exercise related, but recent studies have show that a 30 minute run can actually help with nasal congestion and sneezing. When you sweat, the inflammatory response that causes these symptoms is dampened.

2.  Spice it up
Try to incorporate a bit of wasabi or another spicy food into your midday meal to decrease nasal inflammation and clear your stuffed up sinuses.

3. Sweeten the Deal
Honey is purported to help with seasonal allergies because it actually contains traces of pollen so it gives your body the chance to build up immunity (think vaccinations). However, in order to have the best chance of honey helping you it must be raw, local, and seasonally appropriate (in this case, harvested in the spring).

4.  Clear it out
Lately, there has been a lot of buzz about Neti Pots. These small teapot-like vessels have been used in other countries for thousands of years, but are just becoming popular here in the U.S. They literally allow you to rinse the sinuses. For more information check out the link below:


5.  Kick the OTC
Try a natural antihistamine for similar relief without the unwanted side effects of drowsiness/ dry mouth. Stinging Nettle is easily found at health food stores and is a potent, and natural antihistamine.

I hope some of these tips will help my fellow allergy sufferers out there enjoy the weather with less worry 

Comments