SMART Resolutions for the New Year



Happy New Year, everyone!!!!

Sorry about my recent absence! The holidays got the best of me (as they often do) and then, despite an aggressive Airborne regimen, I managed to catch a bad cold through my travels. No worries, I am back in action now.

I thought a post about those pesky New Year's Resolutions (you know the ones we all make and keep for a week) would be fitting! I am going to share a technique to help you make resolutions that you can actually keep! The personal sense of accomplishment (and the results) from keeping a New Year's Resolution can be really motivating if you go about it the right way.

This year, let's set SMART goals.

Specific
Specific goals are much more likely to be achieved. Many of set goals such as "get in shape." This is a good goal, but its vague nature can make you less likely to achieve it. A "better" goal would be, join a fitness center and go three times a week

Measureable
Make sure your goal is something you can measure. You should be able to answer the questions, "how much?" and "how many." 

Attainable
If you find a resolution that is important to you, you are more likely to be able to attain them. Part of setting a goal is seeing that goal as attainable, which will help you develop the skills needed to keep it!

Realistic
Many of us get excited about our resolutions and set goals that are not really realistic. Such as, workout twice a day, five times a week. Unfortunately, life will get in the way of this goal and we most likely will not be able to stick to it. This may cause us to give up on the whole resolution. Setting a realistic goal will help us stick to it because we can see progress!

Timely
Your resolution must have a timeline. If your goal is to lose a certain amount of weight, say 10 lbs, you must set an endpoint. Saying you will lose 10 lbs in general gives way too much leeway and allows procrastination. Set a date to work toward!

Once you set a SMART goal, you are much more likely to keep that resolution!

My kick off resolution (so that you can all hold me to it) is to follow this 30 day de-clutter plan, written by Spark People.
You will notice that this is a very specific goal outline, measureable, attainable, realistic and has a time frame! I know that de-cluttering my house will give me a sense of calm in my otherwise crazy (but fun) life! Feel free to comment with your SMART resolutions!

Have a safe and happy New Year's Eve celebration! Cheers to 2015

Comments